Thursday, January 18, 2007

Understanding?

This is a hard post to write because I know that it will upset some people, but I really don't mean it in a mean way, maybe just ignorant and need help in understanding.

I have been sitting here all day reading my Bible, trying to get some understanding about Bob and Angie's plans. I hope that maybe someone other than Angie (because I'm too close to her to talk to her about it) can help me understand.
I read every book in the Bible today about when Jesus asked His disciples to come follow Him, but nowhere did I read that He told them that they had to raise many thousands of dollars before they could do so. I looked everywhere and just couldn't find one single reference. I just don't understand.
I read about selling what you have to share with the needy. Key word is share. I was particulary struck by 2 Cor 8 12-14

"If you are really eager to give, it isn't important how much you are able to give. God wants you to give what you have, not what you don't have. Of course, I don't mean you should give so much that you suffer from having too little. I only mean that there should be some equality. Right now you have plenty and can help them. Then at some other time they can share with you when you need it. In this way, everyone's needs will be met."

My question is how can you give, if you have nothing to give?

I understand about making sacrifices in order to follow the Lord. To me, it would seem as though if you have a goal that takes money to achieve, you work hard to earn enough to make that goal become a reality. Whether it be to start a business or to go into ministry full time. It takes sacrifice. But what sacrifice is really being made if other people pay your way, you don't have to worry about making a living,and you're housing and meals are provided? Anyone can do that. The hard part is just getting enough people to support you. It seems as though the only real thing that is being sacrificed is their time.

I guess the hardest thing for me to understand is the part of this is the blind faith. I really have pondered about that. To be so sure that what you are doing is right. But then I read Matthews 4 about where Satan told Jesus to jump off the temple and he replied, "Do not test the Lord your God."

Is this a test of God? Is God supposed to respond to what they want? Whose faith is being tested? Is this what God wants them to do or is this what they want God to do?

I really do understand the need for more workers for Jesus. I really do. I believe that the most important things that we need to share is to love God and love each other. I truly do believe that Angie and Bob have so much love to share.

I just need to understand.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

If I sound "preachy" I don't mean to. I'm just putting my 2 (or 25?) cents out there.

I see this from two perspectives.

As a mother, I cannot imagine what you and Tammy are feeling. I would want to hold on to my daughter and hope she wouldn't go because of the situation over there. It would be so difficult to let her go.

As Angie's friend, I can tell you that the seed for her love for this group of people was planted long before I met her 10 years ago. Her love for unreached people in the 10-40 window was like nothing I had ever seen before.

To answer your question about raising money... if they didn't raise money, they couldn't be there. God doesn't call only those who have the means to quit their jobs and pour themselves into taking the Gospel to people who've never heard of Jesus before.

Honestly, I wouldn't -want- to be in their situation. I can't imagine giving up the security I have in having a job (and benefits such as medical insurance), a home that is my own, a stable income, and the safety of being here. What they are giving up is so much more than time. Both of them are so talented and could have secure jobs/careers here. They could have a family here and could be near their families. In so many ways, it's easy to be here. And, I imagine, it is so hard to be there.

If you have nothing to give except yourself, then you really "need" nothing else to give. Giving yourself is the greatest gift.

John 15:13 tells us that "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his brothers." All too often, I think we associate "lay down his life" with dying, but in many areas, we lay down our lives (ie, marriage, having children). Laying down your life, to me, includes laying down your dreams, wants and desires for the greater good. Some people call it sacrifice and others call it compromise. The bottom line is love. And I think Angie and Robert's love for God and their desire to fulfill His calling on their lives, coupled with their love for this group of people is an incredible, eternal gift.

We take so much for granted here. How many people do we know who have never heard of Jesus? But in other parts of the world, this is a fact. Someone has to go and tell them about Him. Someone has to reach them.

Matthew 25:40 says "...I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

There are so many people who are hungry and they don't even know what they're hungry for because they have never heard the name Jesus. Millions of people don't know who the Shepherd and Savior is. So few people are willing to lay down their lives to "spread the Gospel to all nations."

"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few." Matthew 9:37.

"The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." Luke 10:1-3.

I believe that Angie and Robert are called to be workers in the harvest field. I believe that because they are answering God's call, we must support them and encourage them. They are giving up so much for so little reward so that souls might go to Heaven rather than Hell.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home