Sunday, June 18, 2006

Just for today: Everyday

Just for today: Father's Day
Oh owwwhh. The pain woke me up at 5:00 a.m. So now, I'm up. I'm walking like a little old lady. But hey, I'm up and I checked two newspapers and my name was not in the obituaries so I guess I'm having a good day.
Speaking of obits...today is Father's Day. My father died 20 years ago of a brain aneurysm. I remember that day like it was yesterday. We disconnected his life support system because he had been brain dead for 4 days. I held his hand until the very last breath. I can still feel his hand in mine when I close my hand. I get great comfort from that. I still feel his presence in my everyday life. Funny, his death does not feel like his life ended because he is so much still a part of my life.
It's not that he was a great father, but he was my father. It's all the little things that I remember about him. He would leave all of his change from his pants pockets for me in the bathroom. And then tell me that he left for me. He would take us on long drives in the country just because. He would take us to the State Fair or any carnival that would be in town. When I got older and stayed with him for awhile, he would have a cup of coffee sitting on the kitchen counter waiting for me when I got up. We would stay up all night to record a song that I wrote. He would call me long distance just to hear me play my guitar. He gave me lots of hugs and smiles. I guess what I'm trying to say is that when Dad's pay attention to their kids, that's what matters.
I'm very proud of the type of father that my son has turned out to be. He is amazed by everything that his son does. He truly enjoys being a dad. I heard someone once say that the best way for a father to show his children love is to show them how much he loves their mother. My son foremost loves his wife.
I am looking forward to watching my other son, Alex, become a father. I feel very fortunate that my grandchildren have such wonderful parents.
Fathers are forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home